Enter for a chance to win an all-expenses paid trip for you and a guest to London, England for a David Walliams-inspired experience
(courtesy of HarperCollins Canada and Indigo!)
This contest is intended for Canadian residents only who are retail store employees of Indigo, Chapters, Coles, IndigoSpirit and The Book Company and will be interpreted according to Canadian law.
- “David Walliams UK Contest” (the “Contest”) is sponsored and administered by Indigo Books & Music Inc. (“Indigo”) and the Prize (as described below) is courtesy of HarperCollins Canada, with its office at 22 Adelaide Street West, Toronto, ON M5H 4E3 (the “Prize Provider”).
- The Contest begins on June 1, 2019 at 10:00AM Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends at 11:59PM ET on June 30, 2019 (the “Contest Period”).
- The Contest is open to legal residents of Canada, who, at the time of entry: (i) have reached the legal age of majority in their province/territory of residence; and (ii) are a retail store employee of Indigo, Chapters, Coles, IndigoSpirit or The Book Company at the time of entry and on the Judge Dates (as defined below).
- Indigo, and the Prize Provider, and each of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, agents or representatives, advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their respective officers, directors and home office employees (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”), and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household with whom they are domiciled may not enter the Contest. For the purposes of these Official Rules, “immediate family member” means spouse, including common law spouse, father, mother, son, daughter, brother and sister of the entrant, regardless of where they reside.
How to Enter
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. There is ONE (1) way to enter the Contest:
- Online Entry. To enter the Contest, at any time during the Contest Period, simply send a creative email to KNewman@indigo.ca and share with us your story of sharing a David Walliams title(s) with an Indigo customer between March 1 – June 30, 2019.
All eligible entries are referred to as an “Entry”.
- Entries must:
- correctly respond to the specific questions provided by Indigo under paragraph 5 of these Contest rules;
- be the entrant’s own story; and
- be in “good taste” and in keeping Indigo’s brand image.
- Entries must not:
- violate the rights of any third party, including, but not limited to copyright. For example, an entry must not defame, infringe or violate publicity or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's, entity's or organization's personal or proprietary rights, including but not limited to, intellectual property rights;
- have been submitted to a previous contest, published previously, used commercially, submitted to another competition or contest, or won any other award;
- be explicit or offensive, as determined by Indigo, in its sole and absolute discretion;
- be false, inaccurate or misleading;
- violate any law or regulation;
- be libelous, threatening or harassing;
- instigate others to commit illegal activities or violate human rights; and
- contain any viruses, worms, or other interfering computer programming.
- By entering, you agree as follows: (i) you acknowledge that your Entry may be posted by Indigo on the Website, on the Prize Provider and Indigo’s social media channels, in mass email communications and/or additional websites managed by or for the benefit of Indigo and the Prize Provider in their sole discretion but without obligation; (ii) you have the right and authority to, and do hereby, grant to Indigo an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free worldwide license in perpetuity to reproduce, store, copy, broadcast, display, distribute, edit, alter, combine with other material, publish, post, commercialize and/or otherwise use without limitation all or any part of the Entry in any manner or media, including without limitation on the Website; (iii) you waive any and all moral rights that you may have in and to the Entry with respect to the uses contemplated herein; and, (iv) you agree to release and hold harmless Indigo and the Prize Provider from and against any and all claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trade-mark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action that relates in any way to Indigo’s use of the Entry.
- By submitting an Entry to the Contest, each entrant acknowledges that they have read and understood these Official Rules and agree to abide by and be bound by them.
Entry Limitation and Verification
- Limit of ONE (1) Entry per person during the Contest Period. If it is discovered that an Entrant attempted to enter more than once, all Entries of such Entrant will be void.
- Entries are subject to verification at any time and may be disqualified if they are late, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, irregular, forged, submitted through illicit or unauthorized means, not original to the entrant, or if they contain any false statements or do not conform to or satisfy any condition of these Official Rules. The use of any device to automate the entry process is prohibited. Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of delivery. Indigo reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual for any reason whatsoever, including any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest.
- The sole determinant of time for the purposes of a valid Entry in this Contest will be the Contest server machine(s).
- There is ONE (1) prize (the “Prize”) available to be won, consisting of
- TWO (2) round-trip economy airfare for the winner and a guest, leaving on the same date from a Canadian International airport closest to the winner’s home to London, England;
- THREE (3) nights’ accommodations at a hotel, selected by the Prize Provider in its sole discretion for the winner and his/her guest based on double occupancy;
- a tour of the London, UK HarperCollins office;
- attendance at a David Walliams event; and
- two hundred dollars ($200 CAD) cash for spending money.
- The Prize has an approximate retail value of $3,500 CAD.
Prize Redemption Restrictions and Conditions:
- The Prize winner (the “Winner”) and his/her guest will be responsible for: (i) medical insurance for covering medical, evacuation, and repatriation while travelling, and (ii) all other expenses that exceed the Prize value as stated above, including but not limited to: any additional costs for vehicle rental, travel and medical insurance, accommodations, supplementary ground transportation (including to/from the departure airport), gratuities, meals, telephone calls, in-room charges, applicable taxes (including Airport Improvement Taxes), personal services and incidentals.
- Travel arrangements are at the sole and absolute discretion of the Prize Provider, and are subject to other restrictions set out herein.
- The Winner must be available to travel between September 1 – December 1, 2019. Should the Winner be unable to travel on the dates and times designated by the Prize Provider, the Prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner.
- To redeem the Prize, the Winner will be contacted by the Prize Provider, and the Winner may be asked to provide proof of identity.
- The Winner and his/her guest is responsible for ensuring that he/she have all necessary travel documents (e.g. passports, visa, etc.), that they are in good order, and are valid prior to, and for the entire duration of the trip. Travel blackout periods may apply. The Winner and his/her guest must travel on the same departure dates. The Winner and his/her guest must abide by all venue policies and ticket terms and conditions. Indigo and the Prize Provider reserve the right to revoke any full or partial Prize from the Winner who it, or venue personnel, deem may, in its sole discretion, be intoxicated, be a safety risk, have violated any venue policy or law, or may bring Indigo or the Prize Providers into disrepute.
- The Prize must be accepted as awarded, without any representations, warranties or conditions whatsoever, including whether the Prize is suitable for a particular purpose, and Indigo expressly disclaims any and all such representations, warranties and conditions. The Prize is subject to availability, is valid on new bookings only, may not be combined with any other offer or discount, is non-assignable, non-transferable, non-refundable, non-exchangeable and is not convertible to cash. Indigo and the Prize Providers reserve the right in their sole discretion to substitute the Prize for a prize of equal or greater value (based on the approximate retail value of the Prize as stated in these Official Rules), including without limitation a cash award, if the Prize cannot be awarded as described herein for any reason. All details and other restrictions of the Prize not specified in these Official Rules will be determined by Indigo in its sole discretion.
- At 10:00AM ET on July 2, 2019 (the “1st Judge Date”), the first round of judged evaluation of all the Entries submitted for the Contest will take place. This first round of judged evaluations will be conducted at Indigo’s head office located at 468 King Street West, Suite 500, Toronto, Ontario M5V 1L8 with Indigo’s home office employees acting as the three (3) judges (the “Indigo Judges”). The Indigo Judges will select FIVE (5) entries from all eligible Entries submitted during the Contest Period (the “Final Entries”), based on the following criteria: (1) book engagement (50%); (2) creativity (25%); and (3) passion for the book (25%) (collectively, the “Judging Criteria”). The FIVE (5) Final Entries will proceed to the second round. The second round of judged evaluations will be conducted at 10:00AM ET on July 15, 2019 (the “2nd Judge Date”) by David Walliams’ representatives acting as the final judge (the “Final Judge”). In the second round, the Final Judge will select one (1) potential winner (the, “Selected Entrant”) based on the Judging Criteria. In the event of a tie among entries in either round, the tied entries will be re-submitted to the Judges for a re-judging between the tied entries alone. In the event that a tie remains after re-judging, the entry with the highest score in the creativity criteria will win the tie. Decisions of the Judges are final and binding. Odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received during the Contest Period and the evaluation of the entries by the Indigo Judges and Final Judge based on the Judging Criteria.
- The Selected Entrant will be contacted no later than August 1, 2019 via e-mail at the email address submitted with Entry (the “Notification”).
- Before being declared a confirmed winner of the Prize (“Winner”), the Selected Entrant must, within TWO (2) business days of the Notification:
- Confirm compliance with these Official Rules;
- Sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (“Declaration and Release documents”) to be provided by Indigo, which:
- releases the Promotion Entities from any liability, losses, damages and expenses which may be suffered or incurred in connection with this Contest or the Prize; and
- consents to the use, without further consideration, of his/her name, city and province/territory of residence, comments and photographs or other likenesses for publicity and promotion purposes by the Promotion Entities in any and all forms of media and waives all rights (including moral rights) with respect to printed, broadcast and other forms of publicity.
- Have his/her guest sign and return the Guest Declaration and Release document.
- If a Selected Entrant: (i) does not meet the above requirements, or (ii) is unable to satisfy any of the eligibility requirements set out in these Official Rules, such Selected Entrant will be disqualified from the Contest at the sole discretion of Indigo and the Prize will be deemed forfeited by that Selected Entrant and such Selected Entrant shall have no recourse toward Indigo or any other person or entity involved in the Contest. In the event that no Winner is found eligible from the initial draw, a repeat draw will be conducted from all remaining eligible Entries in accordance with the process set out above. This process will be repeated until a Winner has been declared for the Prize. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Winner must be confirmed by no later than: 5:00PM ET on August 26, 2019, otherwise the unclaimed Prize will be null and void.
- Once a Selected Entrant is confirmed to be a Winner, he/she will be advised by Indigo where and how to redeem his/her Prize.
- If the Winner indicates to Indigo they will not be able to collect their Prize, the Prize will be deemed forfeited by that Winner and Indigo reserves the right to award the Prize to an alternate Winner who has been selected and qualified in accordance with these Official Rules.
- Indigo reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant it finds to be: (a) violating the Official Rules; (b) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; (c) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or (d) for any other similar conduct. Any attempt by an entrant or any other individual to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest may be a violation of criminal and/or civil laws. Should any such attempt be made, Indigo reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Limitations of Liability
- The Promotion Entities are not responsible for lost, stolen, late, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, damaged, garbled or irregular entries, or for any entries not received or not processed for any reason, including any technical or human error.
- The Promotion Entities are not responsible for any errors, omissions, incorrect or inaccurate information in these Official Rules, other Contest-related materials, including without limitation, printing or advertising errors, failure of or problems with any other equipment or programming associated with or used in the Contest howsoever caused.
- The Promotion Entities are not responsible for any: failure of or problems with the Internet; problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software; failure, interruption or delay of any entry or e-mail to be transmitted or received or processed, including failure resulting from technical, human or other error or theft; technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or combination thereof, including injury or damage to an entrant's computer or to any other individual's computer related to or resulting from participating in, or downloading any material, regarding the Contest or accepting a prize; the security or privacy of information transmitted via computer networks or for breaches of privacy due to interference by third party computer “hackers” or otherwise; any communication not received due to an entrant’s spam filter, user’s system or internet connection; and late, lost misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify a potential Winner.
- The Promotion Entities are not responsible if any factor beyond their reasonable control, including weather, event cancellations, strike, lockout or any other labour dispute at their locations or the locations of any other organization or business whose services are used to fulfill this Contest, prevent the Prize or any component of the Prize from being fulfilled. In any such event, the Winner will not be provided with a substitute Prize or a substitute component of the Prize, as applicable, except at Indigo’s sole discretion.
- Under no circumstances will the Promotion Entities be required to award more Prizes than what is indicated in these Official Rules, or award the Prize other than in accordance with these Official Rules.
- The Winner is solely responsible for the reporting and payment of any taxes related to receipt of a Prize.
Protection of Personal Information
- By entering the Contest, each entrant acknowledges that the Promotion Entities may communicate with entrants via e-mail with respect to communicating the results of the Contest and the awarding of the Prize. No marketing communications will be received by entrants unless entrants provide Indigo or Prize Providers with explicit permission to do so.
- FOR QUEBEC RESIDENTS, ANY LITIGATION RESPECTING THE CONDUCT OR ORGANIZATION OF A PUBLICITY CONTEST MAY BE SUBMITTED TO THE RÉGIE DES ALCOOLS, DES COURSES ET DES JEUX FOR A RULING. ANY LITIGATION RESPECTING THE AWARDING OF A PRIZE MAY BE SUBMITTED TO THE RÉGIE ONLY FOR THE PURPOSES OF HELPING THE PARTIES REACH SETTLEMENT.
- This Contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. The Contest and these Official Rules are governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein.
- Indigo reserves the right, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, to modify, suspend, terminate or reinstate the Contest or the Official Rules at any time, without notice, and for any reason. If the Contest is terminated, in whole or in part, before the designated date, Indigo reserves the right to select the Winner in a random drawing from all eligible, non-suspect Entries received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination. Inclusion in such drawing shall be each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances.
- All entries become the property of Indigo and will not be returned and no correspondence regarding the Contest will be made with or entered into except with the Selected Entrant(s) and the Winner.
- The Winner’s first and last name will be publicly available at the Indigo Head Office at 468 King Street West, Suite 500, Toronto, Ontario M5V 1L8 and may be posted on indigo.ca and other Indigo marketing channels.
//End Official Rules