this book to learn how to create a company as powerful as Apple.”—Guy Kawasaki,
former chief evangelist of Apple
Escape Velocity Geoffrey A. Moore, author of the marketing masterwork Crossing
the Chasm, teaches twenty-first century enterprises how to overcome the
pull of the past and reorient their organizations to meet a new era of
competition. The world’s leading high-tech business strategist, Moore connects
the dots between bold strategies and effective execution, with an action plan
that elucidates the link between senior executives and every other branch of a
company. For readers of Larry Bossidy’s Execution,
Clay Christensen’s Innovator’s Solution, and Gary Vaynerchuck’s
Crush It!, and for anyone aiming for the pinnacle of business success, Escape
Velocity is an irreplaceable roadmap to the top.
From the world’s leading high-tech strategist comes the definitive road map to help established companies create next-generation growth.
Geoffrey Moore’s now-classic Crossing the Chasm became a must-read book by presenting an innovative framework to address the make-or-break obstacle facing all high-tech companies: how to gain market share from early adopters and from mainstream consumers.
Based on twenty years’ experience advising the top leaders of many of the world’s most successful enterprises, Moore’s Escape Velocity offers a pragmatic plan to engage the most critical challenge that established enterprises face in the twenty-first-century economy: how to move beyond past success and drive next-generation growth from new lines of business.
As he worked with senior management teams, Moore repeatedly found that executives were trapped by short-term performance-based compensation schemes. The result was critical decision-makers overweighting their legacy commitments, an embarrassingly low success rate in new-product launches, and a widespread failure to sustain any kind of next-generation business at scale.
In Escape Velocity, Moore presents a cogent strategy for generating future growth within an established enterprise. Organized around a hierarchy of powers—category power, company power, market power, offer power, and execution power—this insightful work shows how each level of power can be orchestrated to achieve overall success. Moore explains
- how to use mergers and acquisitions as well as organic innovation to systematically migrate an enterprise’s portfolio out of lower-growth and into higher-growth categories;
- how to reallocate resources across an enterprise in deliberately asymmetrical ways to create a powerful and sustainable foundation for a long-term competitive advantage;
- how to leverage target-market initiatives as accelerants to growth and as stepping-stones to broad overall category success;
- how to create unmatchable offerings by being swift to neutralize competitors’ innovations and laser-focused on driving in-house innovations to make a business impervious to competitors;
- how to fundamentally change the execution cadence of an organization, pushing change from innovation to broad deployment, creating an irreversible tipping point along the way.
Drawing from thousands of hours spent face-to-face with CEOs and their teams, Moore presents case examples and best practices. While his experience is deeply rooted in the high-tech sector, his models and techniques apply well beyond this arena, including to the public sector.
At a time when the world is looking to established enterprises for growth and stability, Moore’s analysis is penetrating and his prescriptions are right on the mark. Escape Velocity gives executives and their teams a practical way forward to take advantage of the opportunities amid industry and economic disruptions.